Confessions of a Serial Creative
I’m Ashley, and I am a Serial Creative. I have a long history of dreaming up exactly what I wanted only to find out that it doesn’t exist. Clothes, jewelry, home decor, you name it. But, I also have an irrational and unshakable idea that anything is possible, with a little creativity and the right tools. So, when I couldn’t find the thing, I made it. I designed it. I printed it. I sewed it. I built it. I painted it. There have been some pretty cool successes and more than enough failures along the way.
Ashley Pruitt Design is the collection of all I have learned through 40-something years of creative problem solving and DIY projects.
Being an extroverted introvert, I need my home to be my sanctuary where I can decompress and renew after a long day of people-ing.
I decorate my home with what feels good to me and my family, what makes us happy, and what sparks my creativity.
Trends are fun for fashion, but our homes should be a haven that tell our own unique stories, not mirror images of the latest mass market craze.
In Home Decor, I share spaces that inspire my creativity and ideas to help you create a home that is an authentic reflection of you and your family. A place where you are surrounded by things that are both beautiful and precious to you.
My goal is to help you design your home to tell your story, no matter what the budget.
Projects & Diy
Lagniappe is a french-cajun word meaning “a little something extra” or “an unexpected bonus”.
What sets a room apart from the ordinary are the details. The small touches that may not even be noticed at first, but that add a unique depth of style.
In Projects & DIY, I share the lagniappe projects I create or build to help you add some unique interest to your spaces.
My one rule about DIY projects is that they shouldn’t look like DIY. So, I give you my recommendations on the techniques, tools and materials that will give you the best possible result.
While style is individual, good design is universal. This is where my background in education comes in. Not just teaching, but learning.
I know what I am drawn to and what inspires me, but I want to know the why.
Learn with me in Design School, where I write about everything interior design. These are the lessons I learn from reading, touring antique stores, traveling, and interviewing professionals.
You don’t need to be a professional designer to have a beautiful home.
You just need someone to help you find the answers you didn’t know you needed.
I’m a Southern girl and love my roots, but travel is in my blood. I have the worst case of Wanderlust and am usually in the midst of planning our next adventure.
Travel ignites our creativity, connects us with other cultures, and expands our lives in ways that nothing else can.
In Travel, I share the places that have inspired me as well as the tips & tricks I have learned over years of packing all the essentials for a week or more in a carry on.
We hope you will join us as we create, learn, travel, and explore. But most importantly, we hope you find inspiration here.
Random Facts about Me
- I believe in authenticity and radical honesty. I am not the girl to ask if you don’t want the truth. I also believe that no matter how broken something may be, there is beauty in authenticity.
- My bachelors degree is in Broadcast Journalism, with a minor in Acting. I also have a Masters in Instructional Technology and a PhD in Educational Leadership.
- I am a natural redhead and have the sass to prove it. Sarcasm and movie quotes are my vernacular.
- My husband, Jason, and I have a blended family. In 2015, we surprised his three girls and my two boys with a family elopement / honeymoon at Hilton Head Island. We wanted the focus of the week to be on the seven of us starting our lives together as a family. Best decision ever.
- I have been a high school TV / Film Production teacher for over 25 years and I absolutely love working with teenagers. Former students have gone on to own successful photography businesses, run lights & sound on Broadway, produce independent films, animate special effects for Marvel films, and work in various roles on network television. I get the biggest thrill when I see a former student’s name scrolling past in the credits.
- I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and consider it key to my creativity.
- I owned a successful online Nursery Design Boutique for seven years. I loved working with clients to design their baby’s nursery. There is such a magic around the anticipation of motherhood. I closed the store when going through my divorce so that I could focus completely on my boys.
- I have a weakness for animal prints. I may or may not have four pair of leopard shoes.
- I played the oboe in elementary school band. I was horrible.
- I LOVE football. I was raised on Alabama football, but married a die-hard Clemson fan. Our kids are divided fans, which has made for some lively College Football Championships. (I’m looking at you 2015 & 2016) But, my heart is with high school football. There is nothing like the energy of those Friday Night Lights. During every home game, you will find me in the press box, running the camera crew and video board production teams.